1. Rick Santorum was a lead Senate author and floor manager of the 1996 welfare reform act, and the author of other successful legislation ranging from various anti-abortion bills to the Iran Freedom and Support Act. Those with longer memories will remember his leadership of the Gang of Seven in the early 1990s that did so much to publicize various ethics breaches in the House, helping set the stage for the historic 1994 Republican takeover of Congress.
2. As almost any conservative will readily acknowledge, Santorum's record of actually legislating on principle is stellar. Almost every conservative interest group rated him highly, with the American Conservative Union's lifetime 88.1 rating for Santorum being typical.
3. Rick Santorum is a man accustomed to beating long political odds. As late as election night in his first race for Congress in 1990, top staffers at the National Republican Congressional Committee weren't even familiar with him - even as returns came in showing that, without a single bit of national party help, he had won an upset victory in western Pennsylvania.
4. Santorum never stands; he keeps on running. As even the New York Times recently has noted, the former U.S. senator from Pennsylvania is out-working, out-hustling, and out-slogging everybody else in the field in Iowa, building a campaign organization in an old-fashioned, one-person-at-a-time manner more thorough than any candidate since Jimmy Carter first put Iowa on the presidential map in 1976. His 99-county campaign is probably unprecedented, and his energy is infectious.
5. Conservatives heavily engaged in the wars over judicial nominations know that even though Santorum wasn't on the Judiciary Committee, he ranked was one of the Senate's two or three most stalwart, and effective, supporters of conservative selections, even when much of the rest of the Republican caucus didn't want to be bothered.
Romney is now turning his guns on Santorum, sending out three Anti-Rick press releases in the last 24 hours.
Exactly. He was a great Mayor in New York and by their standards he was conservative but not by ours. That doesn't mean I don't like him or appreciate what he did both in New York and after 9/11. The reason he's on the fence is simple he agrees a little more with Romney than he does with Gingrich. It would still be a good thing if he came out for Gingrich.
I expect if Romney wins Giuliani will stump for him.
It's not just about giving Americans something to hope for in the future. China, India and Russia are looking for dominance in space. Do we really want them looking down on us with missiles and spy ware? I don't think so. It's about thinking in futures as well as the present.
Santorum doesn't really bring much to the table. I guess that doesn't matter to many.
I'm really sick of people who definitely don't want Romney just sitting on the fence. Now is the time to get behind Gingrich, especially financially. Santorum is better than Obama but that's setting the bar really low. We need someone who's going to raise the bar not barely squeeze under it.
Gingrich can beat Romney and he can annihilate Obama but I guess governing effectively and putting this country back on the right track isn't the goal or they wouldn't be pushing Santorum.
When the chips were down under extreme pressure Gingrich came through as a conservative. When the chips were down in Santorum's case, wishy washy is the kindest phrase I could come up with, devoid of conservative principles better describes it.
So go ahead support Santorum and when Romney hands him his head and is the nominee let the whining begin from Guiliani, Rush, Levin and Palin.
Spoiler??? I only vote for people who will shrink the size of government, which doesn't include Mitt, Newt, nor Santorum. Each of which has a record for massively expanding government.
The smartest thing to do for the nation is for Newt to announce Santorum as his VP. It will turn the vote towards true conservatism
Romney is a Luddite and we are in the 21st Century we need a President with "Big Ideas" and not someone routed in the past.
Going to the Moon. Mars, and Beyond is a "Big Idea" not a SNL joke.
We need Newt a president for the 21sr Century.
Join the Newt Revolution, and send the message to the Luddites in the GOP Establishment nd their allies Republicans in Checkbook Only (RICO:S)
Go Newt Go
Before there was the "Oracle at Delphi" there was Count Vampire J. Machiavelli
Power to the People who "VOTE"
I changed my mind about Santorum. I'm going with Newt and hope for the best. Was it Rush or Mark who said, what is this moderate Republican - you never hear moderate democrat!!
I heard that NV and the next few states are not duty-bound to split up their votes. Anyone know if this is true?
No it's not.
It's brilliant and visionary.
Bush was all for it, and had us on the path to going back to the moon...but the ZeroInChief destroyed the progam.
Rick Santorum certainly is a social conservative, but he’s not a small government conservative.
Club For Growth Agrees – Rick Santorum Is Big Government Conservative
What A Big Government Conservative Looks Like
Rick Santorum's "Real Concerns" About The Tea Party
Newt zings Gregory on Meet the Press today:
Honestly, who cares who he endorses? Not to criticize, but I honestly can make up my own mind on who I like. And I've never disliked any of these guys so much that I won't put up yard signs and vote enthusiastically for whomever is the nominee. Honestly, I hope that everyone keeps their eye on the ball. Obummer MUST lose!
If Obama must lose then get off the fence and make a decision.
Gingrich is in the fight of his life to stay in this and is the conservative, intelligent plan oriented candidate to defeat Romney and Obama. He needs money to do this so do your due diligence, decide and contribute. I hope you choose Gingrich and if your like me maybe you don't have big dollars to contribute. But small amounts from many really adds up. Don't be sorry later that you didn't decide and do something.
Cool your jets! Good Lord! I have made a decision. My point is that whether or not my guy wins the nomination, I don't have so much animus for the others that I won't vote for them. I'll do whatever I need to. Obama MUST lose! You're not in a fight with me. We're on the same side. I sure hope you're not flaming other people like this. If they haven't made a decision, that's fine. There are forty-some states to go. Maybe they haven't had a chance to vote yet.
I don't like any enough TO put up yard signs. Yard signs are an endorsement that reflects on one's judgment.
Santorum won't drop. They both think they'll benefit if the other one drops so its going to stay ugly for a while.